Our Services A - Z - Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
About the service
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) are chronic illness causing inflammation of the intestines. The 2 main diseases are Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis.
The IBD team at St Helens and Knowsley Hospital Trust provides care for patients within this area. The majority of workload is delivered in the outpatient setting where we have 3 dedicated Consultant and Nurse led IBD clinics a week. All of our inpatients are admitted to Ward 3D and during admission they are reviewed on a daily basis.
We also offer:
- General Gastroenterology and telephone clinics for patients whose disease is currently stable.
- We hold a monthly Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) meeting with Consultant Gastroenterologists, Surgeons, Radiologists, IBD nurses and Dieticians for patients with complex needs
- We offer joint medical and surgical clinics
- Virtual biological clinics
- Educational clinics for newly diagnosed patients and family
- IBD helpline.
Research in IBD
The IBD service has a number of clinical trials researching newer treatment options for patients who are not responding or failing existing licensed treatments. In addition we are involved in Europe wide data gathering to detect safety concerns and side effects of current treatments. For more detailed information please speak to a member of staff.
- Tel: 0151 478 7776
IBD Lead Nurse
- Brian Collins
- Hayley Stanley
- Alexandra Westhoff
- Angela Evans
Page last updated on 13th June 2022