Our Services A - Z - Oral Maxillofacial Unit
About the service
Oral and Maxillo-facial surgery is the surgical specialty concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the mouth, jaws, face and neck.
At St Helens Hospital we offer Outpatient clinics in the generality of Oral and Maxillofacial for patients of Knowlsey and St Helens. We invite referrals from primary care doctors and dentists for the entire remit of oral and maxillofacial surgery, including but not limited to, dento-alveolar surgery, oral medicine, facial deformity, head and neck oncology including suspected oral cancers, salivary gland pathology and cutaneous pathology of the head and neck and temporomandibular pathology.
Cleft Lip and palate and Craniofacial pathology is managed at Alder Hey and acute maxillofacial trauma is managed at Aintree hospital.
We strive to meet the highest standards and to provide:-
- A high quality and efficient service to all our patients
- A safe welcoming and infection free unit
- A service that is responsive to the needs of individual patients
We accept referrals for the following:-
- Intravenous Day Case Sedation
- Patients who suffer with anxiety and nervous patients who are unable to tolerate their treatment under local anaesthetic
- Patients with a problematic gag reflex
- Oral Cancer
- Diagnosis, treatment and on-going management.
- Nasendoscopy (performed by consultant)
- Facial Pain
- Construction of Bite Raising Appliances.
- Conservative treatment.
- Botox to the glands and facial muscles.
- Specialist TMJ Service
- Management and treatment of TMJ pain/clicking.
- Therapeutic steroid injections.
- Jaw joint replacement.
- Sleep Apnoea
- Construction of mandibular advancement appliance.
- Head and neck lesion treatment and management, including skin cancers.
- Dermal fillers for facial defects.
- Surgical treatment of tumours and cysts of the head and neck.
- Dento-alveolar Surgery
- Apicectomy (removal of the root apex).
- Surgical removal of impacted wisdom teeth.
- Teeth extractions on medically compromised patients.
- Surgical exposure of unerupted teeth as part of orthodontic treatment.
- Dento-alveolar cysts treatment and management.
- Salivary Gland Disease
- Management of salivary gland disease and stone removal.
- The Oral and Maxillofacial Unit provides treatment for adults and also accepts referrals for children.
- The Team
Consultant ProfilesMr. Martin Dodd - Consultant - BDS MBChB FDS FRCS(OMFS)
Mr Ganesh Lingappa
Personal Secretary, Yasmin Bennett - Tel: 01744 646 620
Mr Yasir Farooq – Staff Grade Oral Surgery
Miss Katerina Kamperi – MSc Dental Implantology, Speciality Doctor
Mr Rahul Sharma – Speciality Doctor Oral Surgery
Steph Wiswell RGN – Unit Manager - Tel: 01744 646 747
Joanne McMahon RDN – Deputy Unit Manager
Annette Shelley – RDN
Anna Hayward – RDN
Carly James – RDN
Nikki Milanovitch – RDN
Sandra Banks – RDN
Toni Welsby – RDN
Natalie Gregory – RDN
Sandra Horn – Receptionist
- Location and Contact Details
St Helens Hospital, 1st Floor, Green Zone.
Open Monday to Friday, 08.30am to 5.00pm.
Tel: 01744 646 730
Outside these hours:-
Aintree Hospital, Senior House Officer on-call Maxillofacial Surgery Tel: 0151 525 5980
Page last updated on 10th May 2022