Stay Safe – Protect Everyone
Thank you for observing our strict safety measures when attending our hospitals.
Visiting (except for Maternity -see below) is suspended throughout the organisation until further notice to keep our patients, visitors and staff safe. This applies to all our hospitals, Whiston Hospital, St Helens Hospital and Newton Community Hospital.
Only the following exceptions have been made where one visitor is permitted
- Visiting a patient receiving end of life care
- A parent / responsible adult visiting a child
- Supporting a patient with mental health or learning disabilities
- A birthing partner accompanying a woman in labour
This must be agreed with the nurse / midwife in charge of the ward / department
No other visitors are permitted to visit any other ward at any time.
Keeping in touch
Contacting the ward
Please agree one main point of contact per patient, this should be the only person to contact the ward staff by telephone.
For further information regarding visiting restrictions please click here to contact the Trust's Patient Advice and Liaison Service available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday tel: 0151 430 1376 firstname.lastname@example.org
Contacting a patient
We understand not being able to visit is difficult. There are several services in place for you to keep in touch with loved ones in our hospitals.
- PenPals service – send your letters, messages and pictures to your relative in our hospitals by email: email@example.com
- Patient Advice and Liaison Service – contact our PALS Team if you need confidential advice and support.They can help if you need to check on a relative's condition or would like regular information about their care. They can also arrange virtual visiting through Facetime or Skype. Contact them from 9am- 5pm, Monday-Friday tel: 0151 430 1376 firstname.lastname@example.org
Using a face mask
All patients and visitors must wear a face mask / covering when in a building or enclosed space across our sites. If possible, please bring your own face mask / covering with you.
If you do not have one, you will be given a face mask when you arrive for your appointment or treatment. Please ensure that you follow these guidelines:
- Wear your mask at all times unless told otherwise by a member of staff
- Use the mask properly - ensure it covers your nose and mouth. Do not allow to dangle around your neck.
- Clean your hands before putting your mask on and taking it off
- Ask a member of staff for a new mask if yours becomes soiled / very damp
- Continue to observe social distancing, keeping at least 2 metres from other people
- Dispose of your mask in the appropriate bins located at all the exits.
Due to social distancing measures there is limited space in our waiting room.
For this reason we require you to attend our A&E department alone.
If this is not possible, please speak to a member of the senior nursing team.
Please register with A&E reception and remain there until you are seen by a clinician.
Outpatient Appointment Information
If there are any changes to your outpatient appointments, our team will contact you directly to discuss this. Otherwise, please attend the appointment as scheduled.
If possible, please bring a face mask / covering with you.
The current restrictions mean that we have made changes to some of our maternity services.
Cancer Services Information:
Continuing to deliver cancer care is a top priority and we are taking some additional measure to ensure patients safety.
Watch for COVID-19 symptoms
Please DO NOT enter our hospitals if you have coronavirus symptoms:
- a high temperature (37.8 degrees or higher)
- a new continuous cough
- loss or change in sense of smell or taste
Do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital if you think you might have Coronavirus.
Please stay at home.
Use the 111 online coronavirus service if you have any of the symptoms by visiting www.nhs.uk
Stopping the spread
Please Observe Social Distancing
Social distancing measures are in place across all our hospitals.
- Please keep at least 2 metres between other people
- Please keep to the left when moving around the hospital
- Please remain in the waiting room or department at all times until instructed by a member of staff
- Please follow the instructions given by staff and on signage when you attend.
Please refrain from moving around the hospital unnecessarily
Please observe infection prevention and control
- Please use hand sanitiser provided and wash your hands often with soap and water
- Please cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the bin
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Please use face mask / covering where possible
Official information sources
For a British Sign Language Coronavirus information video please click here For guides on social distancing in different languages please click here
- For COVID-19 guidance in different languages please click here
How to safely wear a face mask: Tips for visually impaired people - click here For COVID-19 Vaccination information in different languages and large print please click here
If you are concerned about Coronavirus (COVID-19) there is lots of official information online from the NHS and Public Health England. Please refer to the list of official resources below for the latest guidance and advice.