St Helens and Knowsley Teaching HospitalsNHS Trust
The Whiston Story
The original Whiston Hospital was built in 1843 as a Victorian workhouse for the poor. By 1851 the workhouse accommodated 124 people including 7 employees. The first actual hospital wards were built in 1865 accommodating 50 male and 50 female patients and included a convalescent ward and an ophthalmic ward.
In 1871 a new general hospital was built with a medical isolation unit added in 1887 for cases of cholera and other serious infectious diseases of the time. When the National Health Service was established in 1948, the hospital, then known as the County Hospital, had 6 main blocks of wards accommodating 500 patients.
Renamed Whiston Hospital in 1953, the hospital expanded its range of specialties. In 1960 the 82 bed Burns & Plastic Surgery Unit opened and four years later a new Intensive Care Unit and a Pathology Laboratory were built. In 1973 these were joined by a new Maternity Unit, a Special Care Baby Unit, an Ear Nose and Throat Unit and the Postgraduate Medical Centre.
From 2010, the new Whiston Hospital will bring in a new era for both the Trust and the local community, with state of the art facilities in a new modern world class hospital.
Your message was sent successfully.