St Helens and Knowsley Teaching HospitalsNHS Trust


Rheumatology Emergencies

Broadly speaking, healthcare emergencies affecting people with rheumatological conditions may be obviously unrelated, obviously related or possibly related to their rheumatological condition or specialist medication If your problem is obviously unrelated to your rheumatological condition, you should contact other relevant services, such as your GP, NHS 111, a Walk-in Centre or the Hospital Emergency Department (A&E).

If you suspect your healthcare emergency problem is or may be rheumatology-related, then depending on the urgency of the problem, the following are some of the options available to you:

Dialling 999 for Emergency Services
Phoning NHS 111 (24 hr service for advice) when you need fast but not 999 emergency.
Phoning your GP for a routine appointment, an urgent appointment or home visit
Attending an Urgent GP Service
Attending a Walk-in Centre
Attending the Hospital Emergency Department (A&E, Casualty)

If you currently attend the Rheumatology Service at Whiston or St Helens Hospital and you feel the emergency may be dealt with by talking to a local Rheumatology expert, then between 9-10AM, Mon-Fri, you can phone and speak to a Rheumatology Nurse Specialist. If the Nurse Specialist is already on a call you will be put through to an answering machine or after 10AM. You will be contacted within 1 working day.