Cardiology services are run by the Cardiology Department within a comprehensive and integrated cardiovascular assessment and management unit. Facilities include; catheter laboratory, cardiac pacemaker implantation and multi-modality cardiac imaging, cardio-respiratory diagnostic departments [Dual sites ]
The Cardiac Diagnostic Centre:
This is a purpose-built unit in Whiston Hospital with two catheter laboratories, a 9-bedded ward with infection control single room and recovery room. There is a 2 bed area for infection control and to accommodate single sex requests. There is also an off-line reporting room. The unit is connected directly to the Coronary Care Unit and the cardiology ward. The centre is designed to allow future expansion in coronary intervention and complex device therapy.
Activities at the Cardiac Diagnostic Centre include left and right heart catheterisation, permanent pacemakers and loop recorders implantation, arrhythmias drug stimulation tests and DC cardioversions.
Inpatient care is provided in the Coronary Care Unit and the cardiology ward (Ward 1D) at Whiston Hospital. The Coronary Care Unit (CCU) consists of 17 beds with facilities for separate sex bays and single rooms. Ward 1D has 32 beds 16 of which are within single sex bays and 16 beds as single rooms.
Our outpatient services are run across both St Helens and Whiston hospitals.
All clinics are supported with on-site support services including ECG, blood tests and x-rays as needed. Subsequent investigations are arranged in accordance with clinical needs.
- General Cardiology Clinics
- Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinics
- Heart Failure Clinics
- Valve Disease Clinics
- Pacemakers Follow up Clinics
- Syncope clinic
- Post MI clinic
- Atrial fibrillation clinic
- Pre angiography clinic
- Cardioversion clinic
The Cardiology Department includes the Cardio-Respiratory Department and the following diagnostic provision is available :-
NB; A range of respiratory services are also provided by the department
- Inc 24/7 A&E / Whiston Hospital
- GP ECG Telemetry Service
- Direct Access Service
- Direct Access Service
- Ambulatory Services
- ECG inc, 24hr, 48hr, 72hr & 7 day (direct access also)
- 24hr BP (direct access also)
- Cardiac Event (cardiomemo)
- Sleep Services
- Exercise Tolerance Testing
- Tilt table / Hutt Testing
- Device Implantation inc Implantable loop recorders
- Outpatient Follow up services for patients with Implantable Cardiac Devices
- ICD Interrogation – including ICD deactivation for EOL care
- Surgical services for patients with Implantable Cardiac Devices
- Angiography/Cardiac Catheterisation
- Transthoracic Echocardiography (Direct Access also)
- Dobutamine Stress Echo