The team's focus is to deliver a patient centred service with the following aims:
• delivery of safe, timely and effective care for cancer patients during an acute illness
• avoiding or minimising inpatient stay
• reducing time from referral to further management for new cancers
• achieving cost reductions by minimising the impact of unplanned care
• service development facilitating admission avoidance
Any acute oncology patients, requiring urgent outpatient review, are allocated to the most appropriate oncology clinics via a fast track system.
New Cancer Unknown Primary (CUP) referrals are allocated to the next available oncology clinic.