Patient Information regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Lung Cancer Team has a huge commitment to the ongoing care of all patients during this difficult time. We are aware that these are worrying times for everyone, but even more so for patients who have been diagnosed or are undergoing treatment for cancer. Furthermore, we are also conscious of the people who are concerned that they may have Lung Cancer and are waiting for an appointment which may be rearranged or delayed.
Reassurance for Lung Cancer patients currently on treatment or requiring treatment in the future :
Surgeons, Medical Oncologists and Clinical Oncologists have worked together to come up with guidance about treatment at this time. Factors taken into consideration are;
1) Nature and type of your particular cancer
2) Risk and harm of COVID19 during that treatment
3) Risk/Benefit of using alternative treatment strategies
You can be reassured that you will be closely monitored at all times if your treatment regime is changed.
For those cancer patients on follow up, your appointments and investigations may be rearranged to a later date, but please do not think that you have been forgotten.
Symptomatic patients waiting for an appointment:
There are 2 possible reasons why your appointment may be rearranged, cancelled or converted to a telephone consultation.
1) The risk of COVID is a greater risk to you and the clinicians who triage your referral/case are happy that you will come to no harm by waiting.
2) Patients are being seen in order of clinical need. Those requiring urgent treatment/assessment will be seen as a priority.
We do appreciate that you are likely to be anxious at this time. However, please do not hesitate to contact your Cancer Nurse Specialist directly. Below is a reminder of the contact numbers:
Monday-Friday 9am- 5pm
Pauline Murphy 0151 430 2326
Joanne Brown 0151 430 1367
Debbie Harper 0151 430 1367
You can find more information on our cancer services web page.