Our team are experts in maternity and gynaecology care; midwives, nurses, obstetricians, gynaecologists, paediatricians, neonatal nurses, other professionals and support staff all work together to deliver an excellent, safe, and quality service.
Maternity – To achieve women's expectations we aim to offer a friendly, supportive and safe service for women, their partners, babies and their families. We believe in promoting normality in pregnancy and labour and we strive to maximise one to one care during labour, promotion of skin to skin and breastfeeding.
We have Baby Friendly Accreditation Stage 3 with UNICEF.
We will support our women in their choice of where to have their baby either in the home or at the hospital, which is a modern build providing a spacious, clean bright environment for women who decide to choose us.
Antenatal and Newborn Screening -
- Women have antenatal care in the community setting provided by the Trust community midwifery teams who also provide 24/7 cover for home births
- If a woman chooses to have her baby at the hospital, we have a modern Delivery Suite with 14 fully equipped rooms, inclusive of a birthing pool and a selection of birthing aids that women can use.
- Women and their baby can go home from the Delivery Suite if clinically well. Or they will be cared for on the Maternity Ward 2E. The majority of women who have vaginal births can go home within 24 hours of birth, when their care is transferred to the community midwifery teams
- We have Bereavement Suite facilities on the Delivery Suite and the support of the bereavement midwives.
- We have a number of specialist midwives – young parents, weight management, mental health, infant feeding, antenatal screening, parent education, substance misuse.
- We provide / support parent education, breastfeeding support, aquanatal and service tours
Screening tests are used to find people at higher risk of a health problem. During your pregnancy, you will be offered screening tests to try to find any health problems that could affect you or your baby.
The tests; ultrasound scans, blood tests and a questionnaire - can help you make choices about care or treatment during your pregnancy or after your baby is born. Some tests are offered for your baby soon after he or she is born, so your baby can be given appropriate treatment as quickly as possible if needed.
Gynaecology – We provide extensive outpatient and inpatient gynaecology services at both Whiston and St Helens Hospital inclusive of :- colposcopy, vulvoscopy, hysteroscopy, post-menopausal bleeding clinics, oncology, uro-dynamics, enhanced recovery programme.
We also provide an appointment led Bleeding in Early Pregnancy Clinic (BEP) and Miscarriage .
BEP (Bleeding in Early Pregnancy Clinic)
CONTACT DETAILS AND OPENING TIMES FOR TRIAGE
0151 430 1737
0151 290 4356
Monday – Friday 09.00 – 12.00 Noon
(excluding bank holidays)
This is an appointment only clinic and you will need to be triaged via the telephone by a member of the BEP team.
From this triage you may be given an appointment for a blood test or a scan.Go back to the top
Senior Team Members Go back to the top
Consultant Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
Mr T Idama
Mrs N Srivastava
Mrs S Pankaja
Mr P Morgan
Mr H Hamed
Mrs S Rao
Mr T Kundodyiwa
Miss V Cording
Miss C Stewart
Mrs S Palaniappan
Ms T Safdar
Mr C Nwosu
Miss Z Boyes
Head of Midwifery – Susan Ainsworth
Maternity Matron – Nicki Jones
Community Matron – Amy Helmy
Maternity Matron for Quality and Safety – Jacqui Kourellias
Named Midwife for Safeguarding Children – Sharon Wilson
Consultant Anaesthetic Leads
Dr V Goel
Dr C Mollitt
Ward Managers/Community Team Leaders
Women's OPD – Sharon Bell
Delivery Suite – Danielle Chambers
Maternity Ward – Paula Phillipson
Community Midwifery – Andrea Brooke
Midwifery Led Unit – Tracy Thomas
Directorate Manager – Anne Stott
Gynaecology Matron – Jennie Heraty
Gynaecology Ward – Stacey Mooney
Maternity OPD, Ward 2E and
Delivery Suite is located on level 2 at Whiston Hospital
& Specialist Services is on located level 2 at Whiston Hospital and at St Helens
MLU is located on level 2 at Whiston Hospital
Gynaecology Ward 3E and
BEP is located on level 3 at Whiston Hospital
Go back to the top