The new Whiston Hospital opened in 2010, boasting state-of-the-art facilities, as part of a £338 million redevelopment, which also included the opening of the new St Helens Hospital.
As well as providing all acute healthcare services including medical, surgical and diagnostic services, Whiston Hospital also provides:
- Maternity Services
- Accident and Emergency Department
- Regional Mersey Burns and Plastic Surgery Unit
- Department of Medicine for Older People
- Stroke Unit
- Children and Young People's Services
The hospital has been specifically designed with one centralised building consisting of six colour coded floor levels. The central corridor on each level allows easy access to all wards and departments.
Whiston Hospital has already achieved national recognition for its quality of its facilities, including:
- The very latest diagnostic facilities
- State-of-the-art operating theatres
- Purpose designed wards and departments
- Single room accommodation with en-suite facilities
The hospital was officially opened in April 2013 by HRH The Countess of Wessex GCVO.